Church of St Peter at Littleover in Derby

Derby Guide - Guide to the City of Derby in Derbyshire


Littleover Church

Church of St Peter at Littleover in Derby

The Church of St Peter is situated on Church Street Derby. set back about 400 yards from the village main street.

It contains a Norman doorway and font, and has 14th century windows in the chancel and south aisle. A 17th century memorial depicts Sir Richard Harpur and his wife and children, kneeling and facing each other at a prayer desk. It also contains a 17th century chalice.

The church was heavily restored in the 19th century. The north aisle was restored in 1856 and in 1872 the north organ chamber and vestry were built, the chancel floor tiled and the choir stalls erected. Around the same time the reedos was placed below the east window by the wife of the Rev Buckwell who was the first vicar of Littleover after its independence.

The south aisle was restored in 1908 and the west end enlarged in 1959-61 by Sebastian Comper. The church had a single bell which use to toll to announce the death of a villager. One toll for a man, two tolls for a woman.

SUNDAY SERVICES: 8.00, 10.00, 6.30

CONTACT: Tel: (01332) 767802

Derby Churches : The Derby Guide Homepage : Littleover

Littleover church
Littleover Church

© Copyright 2011 Derby Guide : Disclaimer : Homepage