Mickleover, the same as Littleover, is a great sprawl of suburban houses. The part known as Mickleover village is the shopping area on Uttoxeter Road, about 2 miles out of Derby. It is dominated by the Tesco supermarket these days, but the Old Market Place still remains and The Green, The Hollow and Orchard St still give the area around The Square, lots of character.
It retains some attractive old cottages, with Old Hall in Orchard St, probably the oldest building in the village. It is thought that Oliver Cromwell stayed there when he stormed Tutbury Castle during the Civil War. It has `Nissa Deus Frustra 1648` inscribed on its 2 storey porch. The inscription means `In vain but for God` and relates to story of a Robert Cotchett who once owned the hall. He was a Parliamentarian in the Civil War, under the command of Sir John Gell, in the Derbyshire Regiment. He spoke out againt Gell, who had him thrown into prison. No case could be proved so Gell had him banished. When Gell was replaced, Robert Cotchett returned home. Hence the sign.
Mickleover Manor, hidden behind a long wall, was once the home of Charles Edmund Newton, who held many public offices in the Derbyshire region. His family moved to Lockington Hall in Staffordshire after the first world war, and for a while the place was occupied by a Sir Frederick and Lady Inglefield. It was let out as a private prepatory school for a number of years and then aquired by the health authority and used as a hospital for the elderly. The hospital closed in 1989. THe Newtons had been the chief landowners in Mickleover but throughout the 19th century the estate was gradually acquired by various industrialists who built their homes on it. The Limes, Mickleover House and Overfields were all built in the first part of the 19th century.
The Leylands was built for a Samuel Wright around 1836. In 1857 it was occupied by an Amelia Wright. It was then bought by a Henry Edward Ayre in 1888, whose family occupied it until the 1920`s. It is now a private residential home for the elderly.
In 1849 work started on Pastures Hospital, originally known as the Derbyshire Pauper Lunatic Asylum. Designed by Henry Duesbury, it opened in 1851 with 300 beds in 12 wards and had patients coming from all over Derbyshire to be treated. It's building had a profound effect on the people of Mickleover and provided much work for the local population. The building has now been turned into expensive accommodation units.
The Great Northern Railway arrived here in 1876-77 and the village expanded with new housing. This expansion, has apart from a break during the second world war has continued ever since. Mickleover Station was actually over a mile distance from the village centre along what is now known as Station Rd and until the withdrawal of regular passenger trains in 1939, was the starting point for many excursions to the east coast by local residents. The station was also closed to goods traffic in 1964 though goods trains passed through to Burton until 1968.
The village Square, originally known as the market place was always the hub for village celebrations. Old traditions of celebrating plough monday and harvest festival took place here and were linked to the nearby church of All Saints. A brass band formed by patients from the asylum played at village fetes here and villagers were often invited to social events at the asylum. The Square was also a stopping off point for horse transport to and from Derby. Around 1827 coaches passed through Mickleover on a journey to Newcastle under Lyme on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays returning on days in between.
In 1881 a National School for Boys and Girls was built in the village on Uttoveter Road, initially to accommodate the older children. It was enlarged in 1905 and started to admit infants in 1916. It was used for all age groups right until 1948-50 when population growth demanded the building of new schools. Today it is a vibrant community centre, housing many activities and functions, nursery groups, sales of all descriptions, a small refreshment bar, and also accommodates a Women's Institute produce market on Friday mornings.
Derby absorbed the village in 1968 and it seen much development since, especially north of Devonshire Drive on Silverhill Farm, now known as the Silverhill Estate, and on land west of Uttoxeter below Cawdy Hill and bounded by the new A38 and A516 link rads driven through the parish, and drastically affecting Mickleover Golf course in 1972-73.
The Parish Church of All Saints is early 14th century with its low west tower and angle buttresses. Much of the building was renovated by H. I. Stevens in 1858-9, who extented the north aisle and rebuilt the nave arcade and chancel arch. During work being done in 1945, the original 14th century octagonal font was found and restored to its old position. The church contains 3 bells in its tower. One has the inscription `God save the church 1657` and the mark of George Oldfield. Another has `John Campion C.W Thomas Hedderley, Founder 1742, and the third bell, the oldest is inscribed Jhesus be our spede 1591 and has the mark of Henry Oldfield.
An ancient crypt vault belonging to the Newton family was found a few years ago, when the ground collapsed under the then verger, Mr Barker, who fell into the 5ft deep crypt. A gravestone which had been place above it, was dated 1712.
The are several pubs in the village including, the Mason Arms, built in 1724 and the Nags Head opened in 1929. There is also the Vine, situated next to the old smithy. It had a vine growing along its wall and over its doorway.
The Limes at Mickleover
All Saints at Mckleover
Local services in Mickleover
Mickleover Doctors Surgeries
Mickleover Medical Centre
Vicarage Road, Mickleover, Derby, DE3 0HA
Tel: 01332 513283
10 Cavendish Way, Mickleover, Derby, DE3 9BJ
Tel: 01332 519160
Burrows and Close (Wholesale Ltd)
46 Station Road, Mickleover, Derby, DE3 5GH
Tel: 01332 512189
79 Devonshire Drive, Mickleover, Derby, DE3 5HD
Tel: 01332 514262
Tesco Stores Ltd Kipling Drive, Mickleover, Derby DE3 5NH
Tel: 01332 710447
Eley Eley Cartwright & Mahmood
The Square, Mickleover, Derby DE3 0DD
Tel: 01332 518691
Fitton, J S
42 Station Road, Mickleover, Derby DE3 9GH
Tel: 01332 512105
Holly End Road, Mickleover, Derby, DE3 0EA
Tel: 01332 718926
Opening Hours Day times
10am - 5pm
10am - 7pm
10am - 5pm
10am - 1pm