St Mary's Catholic Church in Derby

Derby Guide - Guide to the City of Derby in Derbyshire


St Mary's Catholic Church in Derby

St Mary's Catholic Church is situated in Bridge Gate Derby.

St Mary's Catholic Church was built in the Victorian Gothic style in the 19th century by A.W.Pugin, his first large parish church. Work began on the 7000 project in June 1838, and the dedication tool place in October 1839.

The town's Catholic community had been growing stadily since the Napoleonic Wars owing to the large numbers of Irish immigrants attracted by the prospect of work in local mills. The church has a tall narrow tower but a projected spire was never built. The tall narrow nave is seperated from the aisles by slender piers without capitals. The clerestory has twice as many windows as bays in the arcade. All detail is Perp. In 1854 E.W.Pugin ( son of A.W ) added a large N.W Lady chapel.

SUNDAY MASS: 9.00 11.00 & 6.30

CHURCH OFFICE: Tel: (01332) 346126

Derby Churches : The Derby Guide Homepage

St Mary's Catholic Church  in Derby UK
St Mary's Church
St Mary's Catholic Church  in Derby UK
St Mary's Church


© Copyright 2011 Derby Guide : Disclaimer : Homepage